Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but then again, every recipe I have tried from the Down Home with the Neelys show on the Food Network has been a hit. Let me know what you think.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut into 10 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- peanut oil, for frying
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a casserole dish.
- In a nonreactive bowl, mix buttermilk, hot sauce and cayenne.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Into a large paper bag, measure the flour, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Shake off excess buttermilk mixture and place the chicken, a few pieces at a time, into the bake and shake to dredge.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes for white meat and 13 to 15 for dark meat.
- Remove from the fryer onto a paper towel lined sheet tray and season with salt and pepper.