Recipe by Ernani
This is an old favourite receipt of my Mother's. Everytime she gave a dinner party people would ask her if she would make it. My friends now ask me to make it for them because it is soo delish!!!! It is also very good left over and reheated!!!!!
- 1 large broccoli
- 453.59 g American cheese, fresh grated use white if you choose (Land-O-Lakes is best)
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- heavy cream (about half cup)
- white pepper
- 0.25 ml ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 0.25 ml dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut Broccoli into florets. Place in the top of a steamer, and bring to boil. Have the sauce ready to go, so when the Broccoli is ready you can have both ready.
- In a double boiler, place one stick of butter and melt. Then slowly add a bit of the cream until heated. Slowly, one handful at a time, add the cheese and continue to stir until melted. Continue this process, add a little more cream, then more cheese. You should have quite a thick, smooth sauce. Adjust heat as needed, and continue to stir. Add the spice to taste. Remeber, you want the sauce to seem quite thick as you are pouring it over hot Broccoli and that will thin it out naturally. This is a fairly fool proof receipt, however it may take practice, and a double boiler, especially a porcelain one really helps. I wouldn't substitute another kind of cheese for another.