Recipe by Barbell Bunny
My favorite Iranian cookie! These are made from chickpea flour and have such a unique and lovely taste. They melt right in your mouth and are irresistible. They pair nicely with tea.
Top Review by hjb.mum
These cookies are very nice. I halved the recipe, but needed a lot more oil to make it all stick together. I found that the ones cooked for a lesser time were better. Will definitely make them again cos they seem a bit exotic.
- 3 1⁄2 cups chickpea flour, roasted
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 3⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 4 tablespoons crushed pistachios, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift and combine the chickpea flour, confectioner's sugar, and ground cardamom.
- Add oil or butter and mix well.
- Add rose water, and continue to mix.
- Tightly pack the flour mixture into a small rectangular pan that is 3/4" deep.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to harden the dough.
- Remove from the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut the dough with a small cookie cutter (3/4" x 3/4". Traditionally a clover or flower cutout is used.).
- Place cookies on a baking sheet one inch apart.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the base of the cookie is slightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool before transferring to a cooling rack or storage container. Be careful, as they are delicate.