Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a combination of many different recipes, and since I first tried it, it's the one I stick with all the time! Try to plan ahead and make this at least one day (or even 2) before you need it. This is good as soon as you're done making it, but as with all tabbouleh recipes it gets much better after some time chillin'.
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 -8 chopped fresh plum tomatoes (I like to roast mine for extra flavor)
- 1⁄2 chopped peeled English cucumber
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 bulb fresh fennel, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 mint tea bag
- Place bulgur wheat in a small bowl; add 1 cup boiling water. Cover, put in refrigerator while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (minimum of 15 minutes).
- If not roasting tomatoes, skip this step. Cut tomatoes into quarters and put on pan; drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake at 450 for 15 minute Peel skins and chop.
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and fennel in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, mix lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin and black pepper in small bowl. Open mint tea bag and add contents to this bowl too. Mix well.
- Add bulgur and dressing to the large bowl of vegetables. Mix well.
- Put in the refrigerator - it's even better if you can manage to hold off a day or so before you eat it!