Recipe by LILLIANCOOKS
This is a recipe thats been in my family for many generations! We always make this for Christmas! It's an old fashioned Italian tradition! There are many strufoli recipes on the Internet, but this is great because we add whiskey! Some people makes this in ball shapes, but we like the twisted stick shape!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 ounces honey
- 3 tablespoons nonpareils, multicolored
- corn oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingred together.
- Mix all wet ingred together.
- Then mix both together. Mix til dough forms into a ball.
- Then knead dough for 5 minute
- Seperate dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Take a section of dough and roll out to 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Cut into 1/2"wide x 2"long strips.
- Twist the strips and set aside covered. Do this for all the dough.
- Deep fry at 375 degrees til golden brown. Blot on paper towels.
- To coat with honey put fried strufoli in a large pot. Drizzle on top with honey. Heat and toss til well coated. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle with nonpareils.
- THIS CAN ALSO BE BAKED INSTEAD OF FRIED. JUST TAKE THE CUT TWISTED STRIPS AND PLACE THEM ON A PARCHMENT LINED COOKIE SHEET. BAKE AT 375 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES OR TIL GOLDEN BROWN AND CRUNCHY. THEN FOLLOW THE SAME DIRECTIONS TO COAT THEM WITH HONEY AND NONPARELIS.