1008 hrs 20 mins
A sweet liqueur for drinking or serving over ice cream or fruit.
My Private Note
- 1Rinse the plums (do not scrub away the white bloom) and cut out the pits.
- 2Place in a large crock or one or more large jars.
- 3Pour in as much of the sugar as the container can hold.
- 4Cover loosely (I believe the traditional cover is several layers of cheesecloth but I've done fine with a regular lid that is left unscrewed) and let it ferment at room temperature for six weeks.
- 5As the mixture liquefies keep adding sugar until it is used up.
- 6Strain the liquid (reserving the pulp) and mix it with the whiskey and bottle it up.
- 7My mother always uses a cheap whiskey and allowed the mixture to age in the bottle for many months.
- 8However, using a good whiskey makes it drinkable right away--especially important for the first batch.
- 9It keeps indefinitely--if you make enough.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Plum Brandy
Serving Size: 1 (4084 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2403.0
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 618.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 611.5 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: