Prep 20 mins
Cook 1008 hrs
A sweet liqueur for drinking or serving over ice cream or fruit.
Make and share this My Mom's Plum Brandy recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse the plums (do not scrub away the white bloom) and cut out the pits.
- Place in a large crock or one or more large jars.
- Pour in as much of the sugar as the container can hold.
- Cover loosely (I believe the traditional cover is several layers of cheesecloth but I've done fine with a regular lid that is left unscrewed) and let it ferment at room temperature for six weeks.
- As the mixture liquefies keep adding sugar until it is used up.
- Strain the liquid (reserving the pulp) and mix it with the whiskey and bottle it up.
- My mother always uses a cheap whiskey and allowed the mixture to age in the bottle for many months.
- However, using a good whiskey makes it drinkable right away--especially important for the first batch.
- It keeps indefinitely--if you make enough.
well i made this in september with the italian plums and served it in january and was too drunk until now to review. this is smooth and delicious and a true new family tradition