Prep 1 min
Cook 30 mins
My sweet grandma used stewed prunes as a natural laxative, but my mom likes to eat them as a simple and healthy dessert because slow simmering softens and thickens dried plums into a sweet syrupy goodness. Healthier than taking Ex-lax.
- 15 pitted prunes (dried plums)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice (optional)
- milk, as desired (optional)
- In a small saucepan, place prunes, water, and orange juice. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prunes will absorb most of the water, and the remaining water will thicken into a consistency of syrup. If there is a lot of liquid remaining, simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes until sauce reduces.
- Transfer hot prunes and syrup to a bowl. Pour cold milk over the prunes to cover. Eat with a spoon.
- HINT: This remedy should work within 24 hours and can be safely eaten as often and as long as needed.
- NOTE: If you do not have constipation and just like the taste of stewed prunes, you may add 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the prunes mixture before cooking (Cinnamon, oranges, and prunes pair well together.) However, do not add the cinnamon if you are using this for constipation because cinnamon is used as a natural cure for diarrhea and will have the opposite effect of a laxative.
- One cup prunes contains 1274 mg of potassium, which prevents muscle cramps, and 12 grams of fiber to relieve constipation.
Thank you for posting this. Stewed prunes have obviously gone out of style and I never bothered to get my mother's recipe. Who knew?
Thank you, Kate! This is my Dad's favorite remedy as well. He asked me to stew some prunes for him but I did not know how to go about it. (GGK and her womenfolk to the rescue!) Your recipe was the first one I found in a random internet search. I cooked some prunes according to your directions and they turned out great, moist and tasty. Everything worked out well for my Dad. We are grateful to you for the relief you provided. Food.com is a nice place. I'm finding some good recipes here.
thanks for sharing~~~~~