I LOVE kale and this is how I like to make it almost every time. I'm a hot pepper flake chick, but if that's too much for you, just leave it out! Great as a side dish, but I can eat this as my main meal, maybe just add some chickpeas or cannelini beans in at the end, amazing!
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and let them sizzle a bit in the oil.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored.
- Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all (most) the liquid has evaporated. I like the kale to still remain bright-ish green.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.
Being inexperienced kale eaters, my husband and I expected this to taste like spruced-up spinach (which we detest). I am so glad we took a chance because we were so wrong! This dish is incredible! Super flavorful and packed full of antioxidants - we will be enjoying this again and again!
So yummy! Will definitely make again but will probably leave the vinegar on the side for anyone who wants it.
Very good~~but as another reviewer noted, it should indicate to turn down the heat after you cover. I also found that mine required a little more liquid. It's questionable how many carbs are in Kale. This indicated 18.9g per servings My Food Diary indicates that there were 28.5g in just 4 cups chopped raw. 1 1/2 pounds chopped Kale is certainly a lot more then 4 cuts. Still enjoyed it.