Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It was hotter than hoo-ey outside and I didn't want to cook, so I looked in the fridge to see what I could come up with. And this was it--it was surprisingly delicious and my sister wanted the recipe.
- 5 lbs chicken, roasted and cooled completely
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 bunch green onion, whites only, finely sliced (around 6)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (rehydrated)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 12 sweet cherries, cut in quarters and pits removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip light
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- Rehydrate the cranberries in near-boiling water for about 5 minutes, then drain and set aside on paper towels for a few minutes to dry. Meanwhile, remove the chicken meat from the bones and shred into small pieces. Discard the skin, fat and bones.
- In a large bowl, mix the spices, Miracle Whip, and yogurt with the lemon juice until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken, cherries, cranberries, celery, green onions and pecans and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 45 minutes to one hour, until cold.
- Serve along with crackers, or on sandwiches, in hollowed-out tomatoes, or however you like chicken salad--and enjoy.