Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Most portobella burgers cook the mushroom whole. This one uses chopped portobella and button mushrooms, and is great served with your favorite toppings. You can change the cheese out for your favorite. Adapted from Curtis Aikens from the foodnetwork channel.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 lbs portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup button mushroom (roughly chop)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1⁄4 bunch Italian parsley, washed, stems removed, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 3 slices)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled (or your favorite cheese)
- hamburger bun
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute shallot until translucent. Add mushrooms, garlic, carrots and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, until most of the liquid from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a large bowl. Let cool.
- Stir in parsley, bread crumbs, egg, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. The mixing spoon should stand in the mixture. If not, add more bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Shape mushroom mixture into 4 burgers.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat and sear until golden on both sides.
- Crumble cheese over the top and place pan in oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove each burger to a bun and serve with traditional garnish of sliced onion, tomato and fries.