Prep 50 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very tasty brunch recipe - or just a light meal with a salad.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into bits
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄4 cups salted roasted almonds, ground fine
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg, with
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 -13 salted almonds
- Make crust: In a bowl, combine flour and salt; add butter and rub with fingertips until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add yolks and 2 tblsps ice water, or enough to form a soft, but not sticky, dough, tossing with a fork, and form into a ball.
- Knead dough lightly with heel of hand for a few seconds to distribute butter.
- Re-form into a ball and chill, wrapped, for 1 hour.
- (may be made 2 days in advance) Butter an 8 inch tart pan with a removable, fluted rim.
- Roll out 2/3s of dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly-floured surface.
- Fit it into prepared tart pan, pushing dough down slightly at top edge of pan to make the walls thicker than the bottom.
- Roll rolling pin over top of dough to cut off excess and press dough gently against pan so that it rises ¼ inch above the rim.
- Prick bottom lightly with fork and chill 30 minutes.
- Roll out remaining dough 1/8 inch thick and, with a sharp knife, cut out 8, 8 ½ X ½ inch strips.
- Chill strips on a lightly-floured baking sheet for about 30 minutes (let soften at room temperature 5 minutes before using).
- Make filling: Cook shallot in butter over moderately-low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add mushrooms, season to taste, and cook over moderately-high heat, stirring, for 4 minutes, or until liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together cream, whole egg, egg yolks and stir in mushroom mixture, parsley, ground almonds, nutmeg, and season to taste.
- Put a baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Spoon filling into shell.
- Brush rim with some egg wash.
- Arrange 4 of pastry strips parallel to one another and trim ends flush with shell, pressing them gently into shell.
- Arrange remaining 4 strips over to form a diamond pattern and repeat trimming.
- Bake tart 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Leaving tart on baking sheet, arrange almonds between strips and brush them and strips with remaining egg wash.
- Bake 20-25 minutes more, or until pastry is golden-brown and filling is set.
- Let cool 12 minutes before removing side of pan.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
This was really good. I especially liked the crust. I didn't have a tart pan so I used a 10inch springform pan and just made 6 strips instead of 8. I also used unsalted almonds and added salt when I ground up the almonds.This would be a nice dish for a special brunch. Thank you evelyn/athens!