Recipe by Random Rachel
A sandwich spread made from Italian bologna, from Saveur magazine, for ZWT7.
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb mortadella bologna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 loaves ciabatta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons crushed pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup baby arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour vinegar into small saucepan and cook until reduced to 3 tbsp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook (stirring constantly) for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in chicken stock and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Run mortadella in a food processor until pureed. Transfer to medium bowl. Fold in whipped cream and cooled chicken sauce. Set aside.
- Grill the ciabatta bread. Smear mortadella over warm bread, and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with pistachios, arugula, and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.