1/1 Photo of Moroccan Meatloaf - Loafing Around
1 hr 5 mins
Kiwi Kathy's Note:
This is a healthier take on a classic dish. The meat quanity has been reduced and replaced with kumara (sweet potato) and burghul wheat. Low GI and delicious. I used beef mince and the taste was fine. Time to make does not include soaking time for burghul.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup burghul wheat
- 2 teaspoons rice bran or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon moroccan mixed spice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g kumara, peeled and finely grated
- 200 g ground lamb, lean
- 1/3 cup parsley, flat leaf, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, medium, sliced
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 160 degrees C.for fan forced. Grease and line a 19 x 9 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- 2Place burghul in a small container and cover with water. Stand at least 30 minutes or until softened. Drain and squeeze burghul to remove excess liquid.
- 3Heat oil in a medium frypan over a moderate heat. Cook and stir onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in spice mix, garlic and kumara. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 4Combine mince, onion mixture, herbs, sesame seeds and tomato sauce in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into prepared pan, pack firmly and smooth surface. Arrange tomatoe slices over meat surface. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm and cooked. Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Remove to a chopping board and slice to serve.
- 5Serve with vegetables and or salad.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Meatloaf - Loafing Around
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.7
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 36.5 mg
- Sodium 103.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: