Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- fresh whiting fish fillets, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour for coating the fish
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- lemon wedge (optional)
- Combine the cumin, turmeric, paprikas, and 1/2 tsp pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the fish with about 2 tsp of the spice mixture and a little salt if desired. The fish can be covered overnight or cooked immediately.
- When ready to fry, lightly coat the fish in flour, shake off the excess, and lay in a single layer on a tray.
- Pour enough oil in a frying pan to coat the bottom and heat over medium heat.
- Cook the fish in batches, turning only once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer the fish to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.
DH saw whiting and wanted it! So I found this among the ZWT 6 recipes. I loved the spices. I had 2 fillets cut the recipe to 2 servings. I am not fond of pan frying or deep frying but I did make it pan fried. I brought back memories! Almost like smelts. We did enjoy. Made for ZWT6 Thanks.