Recipe by evelyn/athens
This tastes wonderful with all sorts of meals - especially anything done on the bbq. The beans do need to be soaked overnight.
Top Review by mommyluvs2cook
I was looking for something light for lunch and this really hit the spot! All of the flavors worked so well together. I only had a can of garbanzo beans so I used that instead of dried. Ate some on lettuce as a salad and at some just as it was. It got better with each day it sat in the fridge :) :)
- 1 1⁄3 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro or 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chickpeas in a large saucepan.
- Add water to cover and stir in 1 tsp of salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the chickpeas and discard any loose skins.
- In a serving bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients.
- Add the chickpeas and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for atleast 4 hours before serving.