Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Monty's Blue Plate Diner in Madison, WI.
- 709.77 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.62 ml salt
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 3.30 ml cayenne
- 3.30 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml dried parsley
- 118.29 ml butter
- 59.14 ml frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 177.44 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350 F .
- In a large bowl, blend the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Blend in the spinach and cheeses.
- In a separate bowl, whip the milk and eggs together.
- Stir egg mixture into the spinach mixture until well-combined.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently.
- Roll the dough out to a one-inch thickness.
- Cut into 3-inch rounds.
- Place rounds on a greased baking sheet and bush with the egg white.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Wow, what a tasty treat!! However, I am only giving this four stars because I had a lot of issues with the foundation of this recipe. It didn't form well (perhaps 3 cups is not enough flour and maybe 3 is too many eggs?) and it took longer to cook than the stated 20 minutes. I am a first time baker, and I was hoping for a fool proof recipe - but I found myself struggling. However, prior to making this I had made Recipe #329085 and it turned out beautifully (not to mention it was easy and delicious). From here on out, I will be using Mrs. Macnab's Scones for my foundation recipe and adding Monty's Spinach-Cheese Scones' additional ingredients from there. Otherwise, this was YUMMY (I ate three as soon as they finished cooking, and I still wanted more!)