My mom has made this as long as I can remember. It is a crunchy, very tasty salad. It is a "must have" dish at our family gatherings and holidays. It makes a large quanity, but almost never has much leftover. What there is left is fought over to take home! I tried using another brand mayo and making this salad the day of serving, but did not taste as well. For the best salad, use Hellmans real mayo and make this the nite before. If you are a salad fan, I guarantee you will be addicted to this salad. I've also eaten variations with green peppers, canned peas and eggs, but I love this combination the best. Mom never has any complaints, but then, she's the best cook I know! The prep time doesn't include the "drying" time for the lettuce/peas and the overnite time in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1prepare this salad the DAY BEFORE you want to serve it.
- 2It just isn't as good made the morning of.
- 3after lettuce is throughly dried, tear into pieces in put in large bowl (one that doesn't have a large size rim).
- 4on top of lettuce place the chopped green onion, celery, drained water chestnuts, and well drained, uncooked frozen peas.
- 5Do not mix over the top of this, spread the hellman's mayo to edges of bowl sealing the salad in cover tightly and place in fridge until the next day.
- 6dice 2 cups cheddar cheese and place in a plastic bag and put in fridge to toss with salad the next day.
- 7Just before serving, add the cubed cheese to the salad and mix all well.
- 8Pour into nice serving bowl and enjoy!
- 9note: do not add salt as it will draw moisture and salad will have liquid in it by the serve time.
- 10guest may add pepper and salt when salad is served.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's "the Best" Lettuce/Pea Salad
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.6
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 664.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: