Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom has made this as long as I can remember. It is a crunchy, very tasty salad. It is a "must have" dish at our family gatherings and holidays. It makes a large quanity, but almost never has much leftover. What there is left is fought over to take home! I tried using another brand mayo and making this salad the day of serving, but did not taste as well. For the best salad, use Hellmans real mayo and make this the nite before. If you are a salad fan, I guarantee you will be addicted to this salad. I've also eaten variations with green peppers, canned peas and eggs, but I love this combination the best. Mom never has any complaints, but then, she's the best cook I know! The prep time doesn't include the "drying" time for the lettuce/peas and the overnite time in the fridge.
- prepare this salad the DAY BEFORE you want to serve it.
- It just isn't as good made the morning of.
- after lettuce is throughly dried, tear into pieces in put in large bowl (one that doesn't have a large size rim).
- on top of lettuce place the chopped green onion, celery, drained water chestnuts, and well drained, uncooked frozen peas.
- Do not mix over the top of this, spread the hellman's mayo to edges of bowl sealing the salad in cover tightly and place in fridge until the next day.
- dice 2 cups cheddar cheese and place in a plastic bag and put in fridge to toss with salad the next day.
- Just before serving, add the cubed cheese to the salad and mix all well.
- Pour into nice serving bowl and enjoy!
- note: do not add salt as it will draw moisture and salad will have liquid in it by the serve time.
- guest may add pepper and salt when salad is served.
I had all the ingredients and needed to use them up, so this was perfect. VERY bland and not what i had hoped for. Sorry, but won't be making this again.
Vegan version sub: nayonaise for mayo, "cheddar rice cheese" for cheese. Still yummy!
A little bland so I added 2 Tbls. ranch dressing and 1 tsp garlic salt to spice it up a little.