6 hrs 30 mins
This recipe was given to my Mother in 1961 in Omaha, Nebraska. My Dad was in the Air Force there (my parents were new to the midwest). My Mom got a whole new menu for Thanksgiving from her neighbors and those recipes are what we still have today for Thanksgiving! * You can make ahead and freeze this before baking and then thaw in the refrigerator 1 day prior to baking! Helps a lot with all the Thanksgiving cooking to get it out of the way in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shortening, we use Crisco
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, can use 1/3 cup Splenda Brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh carrots, grated fine
- 1Cream shortening and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl.
- 2Add the egg and orange juice.
- 3Sift in flour.
- 4Add all other ingredients and mix.
- 5Place mixture into greased, 4 cup, ring shaped mold.
- 6Chill at least 5 hours before baking.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Thanksgiving Carrot Mold
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.4
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 410.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g