Recipe by Julesong
Some people think tartar sauce is no big deal. But I've tasted some pretty darn bad versions (and I have yet to try a store-bought version that tastes good), so here's my favorite: my mom's recipe. The most important thing about tartar sauce, in my opinion, is that it be not at all sweet, but savory and rich instead (if you like sweet tartar sauce, this isn't the recipe for you).
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods, Hellmann's, or Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon chives (optional)
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the mayo, lemon juice, dill pickles (NOT sweet pickles), onion flakes, and chives (if using).
- Stir well.
- Stir in 3-4 drops of balsamic vinegar, taste, and add more if you like.
- Serve with any kind of fish.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in tightly covered container.
- Note: although Mom doesn't add the balsamic, herself, I love it and add it regularly. Just don't tell her. ;).