Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This recipe came from a website I found on the internet, but don't remember which one. I made a huge batch of these today and they turned out really good. I am giving them to friends and family for the most part since they contain sugar, eggs and butter, something I try not to eat. You can make the sour milk by putting 1 tbsp. of lemon juice into a cup of milk and let it sit for 5 mintues. I didn't include the chilling time for the dough in this recipe.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar (I used raw cane)
- 2 eggs (organic please)
- 1 cup sour milk
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (non-aluminum please)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg (fresh ground works best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Let the butter and eggs come to room temperature.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a standing mixer. You want a nice light yellow fluffy mixture. Add eggs and mix well after each egg.
- In another bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add it to the butter/sugar/egg mixture alternating with the sour milk. Refrigerate the dough until its stiff.
- I left mine over night but a couple of hours would probably be ok.
- Roll the cookies out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch. Cut out with decorative shapes.
- Bake at 350'F for 10 minutes.
- DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- You can frost these once they are cool, or sprinkle them with sugar before you bake them.
- This makes a lot of cookies, so share them with your friends and family.
- Make sure the cookies are totally cooled before putting them in a tin.
- Bon Appetit.