2 hrs 15 mins
My mother always made mulled cider during the fall and winter for any holiday gatherings. It makes the house smell wonderful. This version works best with good quality cider, but I have sometimes been forced to use grocery store jugs and it still tastes good. This will be highly spiced and has a bit of a citrusy tang from the lemons. Serving size will vary greatly depending upon the size of your crock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set a medium or large crock pot to HIGH heat.
- 2Fill crock pot with cider- leaving room for the apple and orange to float around (we'll get to them in a minute).
- 3You will have extra cider at this point- use this for replenishing later.
- 4Wash the orange and apple and dry off.
- 5Poke cloves into the flesh of the orange and the apple- as many as you like.
- 6Set the cloves studded fruit into the crock pot.
- 7Add cinnamon sticks and some brown sugar to taste.
- 8Using a vegetable peeler, cut off two long strips of lemon rind from one of the lemons, being careful not to get any of the white pith.
- 9Drop these into the cider pot and save the rest of the partially zested lemon for another use.
- 10Slice the remaining lemon into thin slices and drop 4-5 slices into the cider pot.
- 11Save the remaining slices for later or another use (I set them in a dish for guests to use as garnish).
- 12Cover crock pot and let mixture come to almost a boil (this may take up to an hour- this will vary greatly depending upon the size of your crock pot).
- 13Once it is almost boiling,sprinkle with a very light dash of each ground spice to taste (don't add too much or it will be gritty).
- 14Turn the heat down to LOW and allow cider to cook at least another hour before serving.
- 15Leave the crock pot on LOW and allow guests to ladle out mugfuls.
- 16Keep replenishing more cider as the crockpot empties.
- 17You will NOT need to add more spices, etc, as long as you still have 1/4 of the original mulled cider left in the crock.
- 18No need to return to a boil, just pour in the new cider and continue to heat on LOW.
- 19The last dregs of cider will be very heavily spiced- I usually discard the remaining 1/4 of liquid after I am finished replenishing the cider for the day.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Mulled Cider for the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 38.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: