Recipe by Ginger_B
This chicken dish makes it's own terrific gravy that's absolutely perfect over mashed potatoes or stuffing/dressing. It's so wonderful! My mother used to make it for me, and we could never get enough of the mushrooms. They soak up so much flavor, it's truly exquisite. Try it out for yourself! Gravy with no flour, lumps, or dirty pots!
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons texas pete hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms ("or" sliced fresh)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 7 1⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- mashed potatoes, incorporated into meal (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange chicken in baking pan or deep broiler pan.
- Pour apple cider vinegar over chicken pieces, followed by hot pepper sauce.
- Sprinkle chicken with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Whisk cream of mushroom soup into water until smooth, add to pan.
- Add mushrooms into liquid.
- (For a better texture, try sautéing mushrooms in a little margarine before adding to pan).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done and gravy is as thick as you'd like.
- Check occasionally during cooking, you may need to add water, and stir gravy to avoid scorching around edges of pan.