Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom taught me how to make one of the best beef roasts ever! It's super easy to make, and really is wonderful. The roast will make a delicious gravy too--so make sure to make some mashed potatoes to go with it!
- 3 lbs roast (I use whatever...round, pot roast....whatever is on sale!)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- garlic powder
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Place roast in roaster pan and sprinkle with vinegar, pepper, garlic powder and the onion soup mix.
- Cover roaster and bake at 325º-350º for at least 3-4 hours.
- The last hour of cooking I remove the lid to brown the roast a bit.
- Then with the drippings, I make gravy (remove roast and cover with foil. Heat the drippings on the stove over fairly high heat. Add more water if necessary, and bring to a boil. Whisk in a slurry of flour and water (fairly thick) stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Adjust salt and pepper.).
My family really liked this roast. It smelled so good cooking in the oven. Thanks for a keeper!
Very good and especially easy! While I made the gravy, I microwaved some carrots in the broth from the roast so they tasted like they were cooked with the roast. Meat was nice and tender after 3 1/2 hours in the oven.
I used a bolar roast (it was only about 1kg. and cooked in just over 2 hours) We loved the topping and flavour the onion soup and other ingredients gave it. Very easy and very tasty, thanks for sharing.