Recipe by laurenpie
Old fashioned banana bread, excellent use of your over-ripe bananas! Same recipe makes either a loaf or 12 muffins. Walnuts are optional, we usually don't add them.
Top Review by loof
Wonderful banana bread! What made this great for me is the spices in it, different from the banana bread recipes I've made before. I baked mine in mini-loaf pans, for about 45 minutes, and got 4 small loaves. Moist and flavorful - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or 3 tablespoons sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either grease and flour a 9" X 5" loaf pan or place 12 cupcake papers in a muffin pan.
- Cream sugar and shortening, beat in eggs then bananas.
- Combine baking soda with milk, stir into creamed mixture.
- Sift flour with salt and spices; add a little at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in nuts; pour into prepared pan.
- For muffins, bake for 22 minutes at 350 degrees, or until knife in center comes out clean.
- For loaf, bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, then cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake for 25 additional minutes or until knife in center comes out clean.