Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
It cannot be Christmas at our house without these cookies! Although they are time consuming, the taste is worth it. When I make these, that is all I do that day. Not a recipe where you can be doing other things as you MUST watch the oven, as one minute they aren't done enough and the next they are over done.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (NOT margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 (1 kg) packages icing sugar (for rolling cookies in after they are baked)
- Blend criscoe and butter together.
- Mix in remaining ingrediants, blending well.
- I often make the dough one day, bake them the next.
- Just wrap dough in saran and put in the fridge.
- Take dough out of fridge.
- Let warm slightly, and then roll into shape-- round and crescents.
- Do not make them too large or they won't bake well.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees, until JUST lightly coloured.
- Take out of oven; roll in icing sugar x 2.
- I use 2 9x13 pans for this.
- Place on board to cool.
- These freeze very well and can be served right from the freezer.
These are the BEST cookies! I remember my mamaw making these when I was kid, the only difference is she added white raisins. I've been looking for a long time for this recipe. I want to share it with my new in-laws and one day my children since they will never be able to meet their great-grandma. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. It seriously just made my day!