Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
I went vegetarian on my birthday, and decided I needed to invent some yummy burgers that don't have veggie chunks or weird flavors in them. I also didn't want wheat gluten in them, so I came up with these, and my son even liked them! The measurements are approximate, and also, feel free to accessorize this recipe to your own tastes!
- 118.29 ml generous textured vegetable protein
- 118.29 ml shiitake mushroom, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml dried onion
- 4.92 ml vegetarian chicken bouillon granules
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml white bean flour
- 59.14 ml dried breadcrumbs
- 0.25 ml Worcestershire sauce (Use vegetarian version.)
- 0.25 ml soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- Mix TVP, chopped mushrooms, dried onion and buillon powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- Boil approximately 3 cups water, and pour over these ingredients, and let sit until soft.
- Drain thoroughly, and replace in bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, adjusting as necessary so that the ingredients hold together to form patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Form 4 patties, and place in the hot oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned, then turn to brown the other side.
- Serve warm.
I like this recipe especially because it does not include beans! The textured vegetable protein gives it a nice texture. Tasty, and the herbs, spices, and flavorings really enhance the burger.
This is a fantastic recipe. :) very delicious and even my meat eating family enjoyed these. (and they are very "meat and potato" so that was a surprise!) i used fresh onions instead of dried though because i love onions. i also substituted button mushrooms for the shiitake and it still turned out well. the mushrooms blend with everything that you might as well just use the cheap ones and save the shiitakes for stir fries or something that they are more the 'main' ingredients. :) thanks, BigFatMomma for the great recipe!!!