Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From our local/state paper chocolate special, times are estimated.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 125 g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup thickened cream
- 100 g dark chocolate (chopped)
- Make the filling first by heating the cream to almost boiling and pouring over the chocolate
- Allow to sit for a minute and then stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside to cool and then roll into 12 balls.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Sift flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Stir in the butter, eggs, vanilla and milk, making sure you do not over-mix.
- It should look a bit lumpy and rough.
- Half fill the patty pans and then add a ball of chocolate to each patty pan and then top each with the rest of the muffin mix.
- You need to work quickly to ensure they rise peoperly.
- Bake for 12 minutes and serve warm.
These muffins are so easy to make.......Well I cheated just a little!
I also did not make the chocolate centre, instead I used a Lindt Chocolate Balls in the middle of each muffin, which I still had from Easter.
I did make one mistake and misread the amount of cocoa and used 1/2 cup so this made the muffin mix a little thicker than it was supposed to be, and also made for a very strong cocoa flavour.
No problems I covered the strong cocoa flavour with whipped cream!!!!!!!!!!!
The Lindt Ball's worked a treat in the middle of these muffins and served warm with the cream made for a delicious muffins with a soft, rich chocolate middle.
Thanks Pat, will be making these again, so easy and so delcious, although next time I might follow the recipe!!!! :-)
Delcious muffins that we will prepare again.
We used very dark chocolate and conventional heavy cream (1 cup) that we boiled until it was reduced.
I will try the recipe with different chocolate filling and as tisme suggested I will try to cheat as well.
Thanks a lot for you recipe!
Pat - I did not do the molten bit but I did drop squares of choc into each muffin but the muffin mixture is marvellous - so so quick and easy to do - my results were great. Thanks for a jumping off point.