Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish was served at the Inauguration Luncheon in 2008; I've been making it ever since as my go-to sweet potato recipe for holidays and special occasions.
- 3 large sweet potatoes or 1360.77 g sweet potatoes
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 7.39 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml molasses
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes while still hot. By hand or mixer, smash potatoes until all large chunks are gone.
- Combine the potatoes, butter, salt, orange juice, brown sugar, ground cumin, molasses and maple syrup in a large bowl. Continue to mix all together until all lumps are gone.
- Adjust any of the seasonings to your specific tastes. Can be made the day before.
I really liked these sweet potatoes. Despite all the ingredients, it's not cloyingly sweet at all, and the cumin adds a nice exotic flavor. I boiled my potatoes instead of roasting them- saved so much time! Served with a roasted garlic gravy.