Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Everyday Food September 2006.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup light unsulphured molasses
Creamy Molasses Filling (Makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 12 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons light unsulphured molasses
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- COOKIES: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter until combined.
- Beat in egg, then molasses, until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Drop rounded measuring teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased (or parchment-lined) baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until centers are dry to the touch, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- FILLING: Whisk butter with molasses until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar; whisk until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread a rounded measuring teaspoonful of filling on the flat side of a cookie; place another cookie on top, and gently press. Repeat until all cookies are filled.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 day, or refrigerate up to 3 days (cookies may soften during refrigeration).