Prep 10 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 lb mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 fluid ounces white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- Mix the mustard seeds and spices in a bowl, pour the vinegar on top and leave to soak overnight.
- Place the mixture in a mortar and pound to a paste.
- Gradually work in the molasses.
- The finished mustard should resemble a stiff paste, so add extra vinegar if necessary.
- Store the mustard in sterilized jars in the fridge.
- Use within 4 weeks.
I like this. I tried mustard with honey or maple syrup but molasses, plain old blackstrap adds a hint of smoke rather than sweet. I like my mustard a bit hotter so I added horseradish to taste, This is good, good, and better!