VERY MOIST pumpkin bread with special topping. This makes a very nice gift-giving bread. You can make it all year long because it uses a can of 100% pure pumpkin puree. I use Libby's brand. The spices are just right in this recipe and enhance the flavor of the pumpkin. It's best served after it has mellowed for one day. A family favorite.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- In a medium size bowl beat eggs and mix with sugar, oil, water and pumpkin.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients only until just blended. Do NOT overmix.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. This bread fits perfectly in an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- For topping: In a small saucepan mix butter, brown sugar and milk. Boil only 2 1/2 minutes while stirring constantly. Immediately drizzle on top of loaf. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and press pecans lightly into topping.
- Wrap and store until next day for serving. This will keep moisture inside. It is ok if bread "sweats" while wrapped.
Very easy to make and so yummy. For those that don't have pumpkin pie spice and want to make it use 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/4tsp ground ginger,1/8 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/8tst ground clove
Excellent. I have wanting to make this for some time and made it for my holiday trays. Very moist. I could not find pumpkin puree and used canned pumpkin. I made one loaf and mine baked in 55 minutes. I cooled in pan for 10 minutes and then removed to cooling rack. I dizzled topping on and let cool before wrapping. The hard part was waiting 24 hours to taste it and it smelled wonderful. Thanks for another great recipe Emily.
This recipe turned out wonderfully! I modified it by adding walnuts to the batter as well as the topping. I also made it into muffins and reviewed it here: