Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe on the Land O' Lakes website, so of course they suggest using Land O' Lakes butter. It doesn't matter what brand of butter you use, as long as you use butter and not margarine. Also I have used this frosting for other cakes, like a banana cake and it is outstanding. The frosting makes the cake! One more thing, don't try to make this frosting in the microwave. It is not hard at all to do on the stove top, and you have to do it that way to achieve the "browned" effect. I am so excited! This is such a yummy cake!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream sugar and butter in a separate bowl.
- When sugar and butter is smooth, mix in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add flour to this mixture slowly and mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan or a greased 13x9 baking pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool cake COMPLETELY.
- While cake is cooling, place the butter for the frosting in a saucepan.
- Melt over med heat slowly. If it is sizzling, turn down the heat slightly.
- Continue to cook the butter until it becomes rich brown in color, it will be foamy and bubble.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a glass bowl. Cool COMPLETELY.
- When the butter has completely cooled, mix in the powdered sugar at little at a time until it is totally incorporated. Also mix in the vanilla.
- At a medium speed, mix in the milk until it is at a consistency you like.
- Spread frosting on your cooled cake.