Recipe by Irmgard
Yummy and chocolaty with just a hint of spice. Serve with Mocha Chocolate Cream or with a scoop of coffee ice cream for a decadent dessert or with a cup of coffee for a wonderful afternoon treat.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
Mocha Chocolate Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the loaf, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Line with parchment paper and place on a baking sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium heat, stirring intermittently (or over a pot of simmering water, stirring constantly.).
- Stir in the coffee granules and set aside to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the cooled chocolate and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the baking soda, five-spice powder and salt.
- Add the flour alternately with the boiling water, mixing gently after each addition and starting and ending with the flour. The batter will be very wet.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- To make the mocha chocolate cream, heat the cream to just below a simmer.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and instant coffee and whisk until the chocolate is melted and evenly blended.
- Chill completely.
- Whip the chocolate cream with an electric mixer until the cream holds a peak when the beaters are lifted.
- Serve a dollop of cream on the side of a slice of the loaf cake.