Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Funny thing how kids will eat mashed potatoes that are ORANGE (and slightly sweet) thinking they are full of cheddar cheese.....But this is a KILLER mashed potato recipe.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs yellow potatoes, cut up into 2 X 2 pieces
- 1 lb sweet potato, cut into 2 X 2 pieces
- 6 green onions, white and greens, sliced thin (or 1/4 cup fresh chives)
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to saute the onion and garlic
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Saute green onions and garlic in olive oil till soft. Set aside. Note: if using chopped chives, only saute garlic, and add the fresh chives while whipping potatoes.
- Combine yellow and sweet potatoes in pot with water to cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes till soft. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add remaining ingredients, less 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and whip, only using enough of the milk to obtain YOUR desired consistency. Transfer potatoes to oven-proof casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese over whipped potatoes and place under broiler till browned. Serve.