1 hr 5 mins
If you don't want to use pie pastry, substitute canned or drop biscuits for the top crust. Add peas or diced carrots for color, if you wish. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Baking time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dress and cut chickens into serving pieces.
- 2Place in a stewpan and barely cover with boiling water; simmer until tender.
- 3Prepare pastry, using a little less shortening than called for in recipe. Divide dough into two parts.
- 4Roll out one piece very thin and line sides of 2 quart baking dish with part of it and cut remainder into strips.
- 5Arrange a layer of chicken in dish; season with salt and pepper. Cover with pastry strips and continue until all the chicken and strips are used.
- 6Add milk and about 1/4 cup of stock in which the chickenwas cooked.
- 7Roll out the second piece of dough; dot with butter, fold and roll again until butter is blended into dough.
- 8Roll out thinly; make small gashes in it to allow steam to escape and cover top of pie.
- 9Press edges together and bake in a preheated 400F oven until crust is well browned.
- 10Variation: Omit pastry and butter. Arrange chicken in baking dish; add seasoning, milk and stock. Place drop biscuits on top and bake as directed.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miss Cecilia's Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 759.7
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 139.2 mg
- Sodium 560.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 32.2 g