Recipe by Sharon123
Yum! The original recipe used all wild rice. I have subbed some brown rice, or a blend of rices. Also the original recipe calls for barley miso, but you can use whatever miso you have on hand(I use either red or white), whichever one you use will give a different and yummy flavor. Enjoy! Adapted from a recipe from Whole Foods.
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked wild rice mix (or can use brown rice and barley or your own mix )
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon miso (barley, or any flavor miso you have on hand)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion (1 tablespoon reserved for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, sesame seeds, ginger, miso and crushed red pepper until blended.
- When rice is cooked, drain and add to bowl with vinegar mixture.
- Stir in cabbage, carrot and green onion until combined and garnish with remaining green onion.