Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These wonderful shrooms are a speciality at the Arrowwood Resert in Alexandria, Minnesota. Wild rice is the key ingredient. Cook time includes the time to cook the wild rice.
- 16 -24 large fresh button mushrooms (2 to 2 1/2 inches wide)
- 1 1⁄2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella-provolone cheese blend or 3⁄4 cup shredded pizza cheese (3 ounces)
- For the wild rice, place it in a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- Place the rice in a small saucepan and cover with 1 cup of water.
- Bring to boiling and reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 50 minutes or till the wild rice is very tender.
- (Add more water, if needed, during the cooking.) Drain off any excess liquid and measure out 1 cup of wild rice.
- Rinse and drain the fresh mushrooms.
- Remove and discard the stems.
- Reserve the mushroom caps.
- For stuffing: In a medium mixing bowl, stir together stuffing mix and boiling water.
- Stir in cooked wild rice and cheese.
- Pile the stuffing into the mushroom caps.
- Arrange them in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till heated through.
Oh, my, my, my!!! I can't wait to make these again--so easy, yet SO delicious. I made as directed with the only change being that I used a mix of mozzarella and freshly grated romano cheese, as that was what I had on hand. This is a real winner, Yooper! Thanks so much for posting it!
Very,very tasty.I love wild rice.I used pizza cheese.It is so simple,with so few ingredients,Will make this a keeper ,Yooper. Thanks for posting.Rose