Recipe by Manami
Bocconcini are bite-size morsels of fresh mozzarella. They are usually packed in water or whey for freshness. For lower-fat content, choose part-skim ricotta, it has comparable creaminess to the whole-fat but has fewer calories and less fat!! Also, use whole-wheat pitas -- which are fiber-rich and just as tasty.
- 4 mini whole wheat pita bread, split (3 inches each)
- 118.29 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, pushed through a garlic press
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 283.49 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (use paper towels to help drain & dry)
- 236.59 ml bocconcini, halved (about 20 balls)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil; arrange pita halves on sheet, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Dividing evenly, spread ricotta mixture on pitas, and top with spinach and bocconcini.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Broil until cheese is melted and starts to brown, 4 to 6 minutes, rotating sheet from front to back halfway through baking.
- Serve immediately.