Prep1 hr 30 mins
You can of coarse use your favorite meatball recipe for these, but the ingredients listed here makes a great mini meatball with lot of flavor, or see my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs. Purchase the longer crusty rolls for this. You can prepare the meatballs and simmer in the sauce, then refrigerate until ready to use. Prep time does not include making the marinara sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use less)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (or use 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flake crumbs (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- black pepper (or use cayenne pepper for heat)
- 4 cups favorite marinara sauce (see Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian))
- parmesan cheese (optional) or mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- 6 large rolls (purchase Italian or French rolls, sliced in half lengthwise)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine the first 9 ingredients (up to the marinara sauce) mix well with clean hands to combine, if the mixture is too soft then add in a bit more cornflake crumbs.
- Shape into 1-1/2-inch balls, then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for about 20 minutes or until cooked and browned.
- Bring the marinara sauce to a simmer on top of the stove.
- Add in the cooked mini meatballs and simmer for about 20 minutes (you can refrigerate this and then use the following day, just rewarm over low heat before using).
- With your fingers press down the bottom part of each bun to create a depression in the middle.
- Spoon about 5-6 meatballs into the depression and then spoon the sauce over to coat.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Place the tops of buns over and enjoy!