1/1 Photo of Minature Napoleons With Eggplant Creme (Vegan Yum Yum)
2 hrs 30 mins
Wish I Could Cook's Note:
This is the cover recipe for Lauren Ulm's cookbook: Vegan Yum Yum. I think it is the best thing I've ever made! These make cute little starters. They are not finger food and they won't stand up well to being served that way in my opinion. So I suggest them as a starter where the food is plated and brought to the table. To see a beautiful photo, visit Lauren's blog at: http://veganyumyum.com/2008/07/miniature-napoleons-with-eggplant-creme/ Make extra tomatoes and zuchinni slices to help in matching up sizes after roasting. This recipe makes about 1.5 cups extra eggplant creme. It's great as a sandwich spread, ravioli filling, dip, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 12 cremini mushroom caps (other mushrooms would work fine)
- tamari or soy sauce
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Slice the tomatoes and zuchini into at least 12 slices (between 1/4 and 1/2 inch think). Place on a parchament-lined cookie sheet. Spay with oil to coat and sprinkle with dried herbs. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 3Add the mushoom caps to the roasted tomato/zucchini sheet. Spray with oil and put about a 1/2 teaspoon of tamari (or soy sauce) in each one. Bake for about 30 more minutes.
- 4While the vegetables are baking, peel and dice the eggplants (I had about 750 grams). Put a couple layers of paper towels in the bottom of a big bowl and microwave the eggplant in two batches for eight minutes each.
- 5Then saute the eggplants in olive oil for about 10 minutes until cooked an a littlebrown.
- 6Add eggplants, cashews, and garlic to a food processor and process until very smooth.
- 7To assemble, put a little dot of eggplant creme on the plate to act as an anchor. Place a tomato on top of the anchor and put more eggplant creme on top. Then add zucchini and more creme. Then add mushroom cap and a a dot of more creme.
- 8Garnish with basil and a bit tomato. Drizzle a little olive oil and some dots of vinegar on the plate to really be fancy.
- 9(I found that if the mushooms are big, they make a better base than topper.).
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minature Napoleons With Eggplant Creme (Vegan Yum Yum)
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.6
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cremini mushroom caps