Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Are you tired of weepy, sticky meringue? This meringue will not let you down. It stands proud and adorns your favorite pie with a delicious mound of delicate meringue. The cook time does not reflect the time to cool the cornstarch mixture. This recipe is from one of my all time favorite cookbooks-- More Make-A-Mix Cookery,
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, lemon juice and water.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat and stir until clear and thick.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add cooled cornstarch mixture, beating until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the prepared meringue over your favorite pie and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
My family liked it! I I will make it again. I did add 1/8 tsp to cream of tarter to the eggs.
The recipe made a nice, golden brown, tall, fluffy, meringue. It turned out just perfectly, not too sweet. It was fast and really easy to make. Looks like a pro made it. I will be using this recipe often. Thank you so much Paula for sharing.
This really helps eliminate weeping of the meringue.