Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- Unfold the pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate, pressing the crust firmly into the plate, then flute if desired. Bake the pie shell according to the package directions; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and salt; mix well. Gradually whisk in the water and milk, stirring until the cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat, whisking until the mixture comes to a boil.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the milk mixture, then whisk the yolk mixture back into the saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes,whisking occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter and lemon juice. Pour the filling into the pie shell; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a medium bowl, with an electric beater, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, making meringue.
- Spread the meringue over the pie filling, sealing to the edges of the crust. Using a spatula or the back of a tablespoon, form peaks in the meringue, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden. Let cool, then slice and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Trying to learn to make lemon pie and decided to give this a try. I used a large stone pie plate and the recipe did not make enough filling so had to make a second batch and add to it. This might have caused my problem as the filling was not completly set and turned out runny (maybe I didn't cook it long enough - possible) However; it looked wonderful and the flavor of the lemon was good, though I'd cut down on the sugar next time (I prefer tart over sweet). All in all a pretty simple recipe and knowing what I do now, will make again with these small changes. Thanks Internetnut for a good recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> 8724441"