Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice, mild mac 'n cheese, no sharp flavors here. Very creamy with the addition of baked tomato slices on top.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups American cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni and drain.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and flour until smooth, making a light roux.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Add macaroni.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Arrange tomato slices on top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Great and easy Mac N cheese. Both my Great Aunt and my Step Mom made their M&C with American (though the recipes were entirely different) And I prefer it high above cheddar! Threw in some broccoli and added some extra pasta (trying to stretch meals!) Thanks for sharing!
WOW! I am amazed by how good this recipe is. The measurements are perfect and it is soooo delicious! I cooked it on the stove top. I added the macaroni and the tomatoes while the sauce was still cooking on the stove...but after the sauce thickened after I added in the cheese. I did not put it in the oven because the sauce tends to dry up in the oven. I like my mac and cheese creamy and saucy. I will definitely make this again! 5 STARS!!!
Excellent Recipe and Super simple...2 parts Milk, 2 parts Cheese, 2 parts Macaroni....this recipe can almost be made blindfolded. I used a variety of different cheeses to make up the cheese mix (Edam, Gloucester, Cheddar, and Colby Jack) but the balance this basic recipe brings with it made the flavor great. It was juicy and creamy, not overly thick or lumpy. Thanks for sharing!