Recipe by JoAnn
A nice, mild mac 'n cheese, no sharp flavors here. Very creamy with the addition of baked tomato slices on top.
Top Review by Nikoma
Great and easy Mac N cheese. Both my Great Aunt and my Step Mom made their M&C with American (though the recipes were entirely different) And I prefer it high above cheddar! Threw in some broccoli and added some extra pasta (trying to stretch meals!) Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups American cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni and drain.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and flour until smooth, making a light roux.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Add macaroni.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Arrange tomato slices on top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.