Recipe by chef FIFI
This recipe is quick and easy. Its one of my favorite dishes. Serve with a side of rice and a great salad. 7/12/06 - recipe has been amended.
Top Review by ohbother
We made this dish with ground turkey, and our Saudi Arabian exchange student told us that it was very authentic, and just right. My family and I found it OK, but not extremely flavorful. a little on the bland side. I think next time we make it, if we do, I will add more spices. Because no amounts were listed, I threw in about one and a half to two teaspoons each of allspice, black pepper and garlic powder, and it just wasn't enough. I think next time I will use more fresh garlic and some of the other middle eastern flavors, like coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom in addition to allspice and black pepper. We served it with cous cous cooked with dried fruits (raisins, currants, dates, and apricots) and our family's favorite mixture of yogurt with cilantro, parsley, cucumber, mint and pepper.
- 3 lbs ground beef or 3 lbs lamb or 3 lbs turkey
- 1 large onion
- 3⁄4-1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- seasoning salt or salt
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- 3 -4 tomatoes (any size)
- 3 -4 potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- What you can do is start by chopping up your parsley in a food chopper until fine.
- Do not use dried parsley.
- Then put the parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Then cut onion up into pieces-- doesn't matter how small just so you can fit it into the chopper and combine the garlic and chop away until fine-- not pasty though.
- Put the onion garlic mixture in the bowl with the parsley and add ground meat and spices.
- Mix with hands until everything is well blended.
- Pat the meat mixture down in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and broil in oven until top is browned, this will enhance the flavor, then take out of the oven.
- Peel potatoes.
- Slice tomatoes and potatoes into quarter of an inch in size and layer-- potatoes first and then tomatoes will be top layer.
- Sprinkle with a little salt-- and bake in oven about 425°F covered with foil for approximately 45 minutes to and hour-- enjoy.