Prep 1 min
Cook 5 mins
This is a simple, easy microwave technique recipe for toasting nuts! Especially handy for those who own a microwave, but have no stove or oven. TIPS: Microwave heating times vary, so use caution. You will need potholders for this recipe. Before starting, read through the recipe and note the safety precautions below. Use in recipes calling for toasted nuts, or for snacking. Delicious! Makes a nice holiday or hostess gift in a jar with a fabric lid, tied with pretty ribbon or raffia.
- 1⁄2 cup shelled raw whole nuts (such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, or pine nuts)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (optional) or 1 teaspoon melted butter (optional)
- In a microwave safe dish (I used a Pyrex pie plate), place the nuts evenly in a single layer (coat them in the fat, if using).
- Microwave on HIGH heat for 2 minutes, stir, and continue to cook and stir at one minute intervals, until nuts are fragrant and light golden brown in color. Be careful not to let them scorch. Use potholders.
- (Note: total cook time is about 5 minutes for whole nuts-- smaller amounts or sliced nuts or sesame seeds could be done in as little as 2 minutes, larger amounts of nuts will take longer and not cook as evenly, therefore 1/2 cup of nuts is optimal for even cooking. The optional addition of the fat will speed cooking time somewhat).
- IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS: Be sure to use potholders as the dish will become hot. Do NOT add water to the hot dish, as it may crack. Microwave heating times vary, so use caution.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- Use in recipes or for snacking. Makes a nice holiday or hostess gift in a jar with a fabric lid, tied with pretty ribbon or raffia.