Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 Cornish hen, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs, defrosted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small apple, cut into 1/2 in ch pieces
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon cognac or 1 teaspoon brandy
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Wash hen and pat dry.
- Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper.
- Toss apple pieces with brown sugar.
- Place apple pieces in hen cavity.
- Tie drumsticks together with heavy string.
- Place hen, breast side down, on roasting rack.
- In small bowl, stir cranberry sauce, cognac and cinnamon.
- Baste hen with half the cranberry glaze.
- Microwave on High 8 to 12 minutes, or until juices run clear and meat near bone is no longer pink, rotating 1/2 turn ever 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn hen breast side up after half the cooking time and baste with remaining glaze.
- Variation - Honey-Soy Glazed Cornish Hen: Substitute half small onion, quartered, for the apple and brown sugar in cavity. Substitute 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger for the glaze ingredients. Microwave glaze at High 30 to 45 seconds, or until heated, stirring to dissolve honey. Continue as directed.
- Glazed Cornish Hens for Two: Double all ingredients. Prepare as directed except microwave hens at High 16 to 20 minutes.