Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A Mexican twist on a basic zucchini fritter – Can be used as a light meal or a side to a yummy piece of steak or chicken.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 purple onion, diced finely
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (continental)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Trim the ends from zucchini.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini.
- Place in a colander and squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in self-raising flour, onions, egg, parsley, spices and, salt.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Drop four 2-tablespoonful measures of zucchini mixture into pan.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat with 2 tsp olive oil and remaining zucchini mixture.
- Serve each fritter with 2 tbs salsa, 1 tbs sour cream and top with shredded cheese.
I made these for brunch and they came together easily. I grated enough zucchini for a little over 3 cups before squeezing dry. I ended up stirring in a little more flour to get a texture I thought would hold together. I feel that might be due to the difference in zucchini sizes & moisture. The spices added so much flavor to the fritters I felt the cheese & sour cream toppings could be optional. Good luck in the contest!
We really enjoyed these tasty fritters that we had as a meal with a salad on the side. I made the recipe for the fritters as stated, although I did need to add an extra egg.maybe due to the size of my zucchini as medium sized can vary somewhat. I used a blended gluten-free flour and made the fritters slightly larger than the 2 tablespoons stated. I served them with the salsa and sour cream- probably about half the stated amount. The spices added to these fritters really complimented the plain flavours of the zucchini and egg. Photo also to be posted. Wishing you good luck in the Dining on a $ contest
these were very yummy.. like others i had to add an extra egg.. i somehow forgot the salt but it was still very delicious with dipping in salsa.. im sure it wouldn't have needed the salsa if i would have remembered the salt! ty for the recipe