A simple combination of yellow squash, ground beef, and Mexican spices. A great way to use up the bounty of summer squash in the garden.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (OR 1 pint fresh tomato, diced and 1/2 cup water)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Mix in the squash, onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add the ground beef and tomatoes (and water if fresh tomatoes are used) into the skillet. Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Turn mixture into an ovenproof casserole dish. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake in 400°F oven for 15 minutes.