Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Wonderful recipe adapted from Food & Wine, May 2008 edition. Original recipe called for making a dressing with 2 cups of walnut halves and a ton of oil and it was WAY too heavy and had WAY too many calories. I lighted it up and now we think it's perfect!!! This is a great make ahead salad and is perfect for the Christmas holiday (being red and green)!
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 medium sized peeled cooked beets, sliced (you can cheat and use canned beets if you must)
- 1 fuji apple, cubes
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup manchego cheese, thinly shaved
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- Whisk together the oil and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer beets on the bottom of the plate, then top with apple, avocado, fennel, Manchego and walnuts.
- Spoon dressing over the top.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and some chips if you like.